Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Selvage Purse Project from the Ric Rac Blog :)


You guys know I collect selvage of course and I have been saving up for a big project.
But after making the notebook cover for Jem I decided to make one for myself using selvages.


So I started piecing them together and I couldn't stop. I seriously ADORE how they look together so as my piece grew I decided to turn it into a bag.
It occurred to me that a predominantly white bag wouldn't last long so I decided to cover it with PVC.



I really really like it ! It is a super simple construction and I had to hand sew the handles on (that was a bit of a chore and I actually had to dig out the the thimble!)

I would love to make a big quilt out of selvages - I know , this from a person who has yet to finish the one and only
quilt....but hey a girl can dream.



This bag took almost 40 strips of selvage - can you imagine how many I would need for even a little quilt- and there is almost no fabric at my place with selvage still attached.


I don't even know why I like them so much, they just appeal to me.

Sounds like an excuse to buy more fabric if ever I heard one!


Originally Posted by Jodie from Ric Rac :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! What a great idea! I love the fact that you covered it so you can wipe it off-perfect for a diaper bag! Thanks for the idea!

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

wow LOVE the bag!