Sunday, November 16, 2008

Oh Fransson.. offered this Tutorial.. Isn't it fun???

Selvedge Quilt Blocks


My selvedge quilt project is off to a slow start. Here are two nine-inch blocks, each using 19 pieces of selvedge.



I've seen several approaches to sewing down the selvedge strips. I opted to layer them, like shingles on pieces of linen/cotton blend. (The weave is a little looser than all cotton and I thought it might be more forgiving for doing the precision stitching along the edges of the selvedge strips.)


In the course of making these squares, I've noticed that almost all of my fabric is from two or three manufacturers -- I think I could probably make an entire selvedge quilt just using Alexander Henry selvedge! Before I do any more squares, I need to sort my selvedge by manufacturer, so I can parcel it out evenly among the squares!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep us posted. It's true what they say about us quilters, we don't throw away anything, do we?:) Every scrap finds a home!

queen of everything said...

i got my apron and it is AWESOME. i had to fight my girls to get it back from them. i hope to have pics up soon.