Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thank you to all of my sweet readers for all of your sweet sweet words of condolences.. I feel that every word and thought and prayer has helped ease mine and Apache's pain. Our morning started out with another beautiful sunrise here in Ta Town. Seeing such a wondrous site makes one realize all of the magic that life has to offer. I am handling the loss of my sweet girl much better today. I know that one needs a bit of time to grieve. Yesterday was the day for me and my sweet boy. Like several mentioned I spent most of the day going back and forth outside checking on the little guy. Petting him.... loving on him..... and just standing there beside him as he nibbled on grass. He finally settled down toward night fall. I am so thankful for that. Hearing his squeals was killing me.. because I knew the reason for them. I finally had to take a nap.. I could not stand to hear them any longer. I have to admit I was sort of thread worn myself by the late afternoon. When I awoke from my nap he was much quieter.. I wonder if it was the drunk he had on lol. Well anyway we are both much better today.
Thank you again for your wonderful words of care and concern.
Ok I have to answer some of the questions and statements in your sweet comments. I call him the little guy but he is 7 years old and almost as big as his mother was. She was a big box car quarter horse, at 15.4 hands tall. To get her height..... you multiply 15.4 by 4 inches which is a hand and you will see how tall she is at the withers. Neck and Head don't count on height. The equal sum is how tall she is. (then divide by 12 to get the feet) Apache is about a 15.2 hands in height. Which was aprox 4 and 1/2 foot (plus give or take a few inches) tall at the withers. Here is another example his back is just below my chin height. I am Just a tad over 5' 4" in height. They both were bred from old foundation stock. Both horses blood lines were bred to cut cattle. They have the size and bulk to muscle the cows if need be. My Gillee girl loved herding cattle. If those rank old heifers would not go she would just run up on them and shove them ahead with her broad chest. Yes they went and they went fast with her behind them. Gillee would almost tip toe in a herd and slowly pull the one I wanted out without the others moving a muscle. She was very quite when needed around the cows. She would lower her head down and just shuffle in and slowly shuffle out. It really was quite amazing being on her back when she was working the cattle. Yes we did have a few get away from us. But very seldom did that happen.
Now its time for her boy to do the needed work ;)
I have checked on the poor baby boy this morning and he is finally quiet and out in the far pasture eating grass with the other two horses. Which are Mo Fox trotters. They the trotters are bred for distance and the smooth ride.
His is being much calmer today...for this I am very thankful.
Once again ladies thank you so much for your sweet words of caring and concern!


Susan Freeman said...

I am glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better today. I love reading about Gillee and her boy. She certainly was a special girl and it sounds like she had a wonderful life doing what she loved and was bred to do. Now it's time for her son to carry on the tradition. Just keep loving him and the two of you will ease each other's pain.

Susan and Bentley

Doris Sturm said...

I'm glad to hear it, Aunti Pitty Pat, and I found your explanation about breed and size and your cow hearding experiences together very, very interesting. Sounds like you too did some living together and yes, that's something to treasure and be thankful for - eventually - after the tears stop flowing and the heart gets to be on the mend a little. You were a good mom and still are, so I know you have no regrets and that's the biggest part - to live so there will be no regrets.
Much love and prayers to you and yours,
Doris :-)

Sara said...

We often forget how animals feel grief as well. I'm glad he is joining the other horses today for company.

Your story is much the same as ours was many years ago when we had to have our quarter horse Lady taken away. My husband couldn't bear to even be on the farm that day, as that horse was a part of his life from her birth on the farm when he was about 4 years old. His dad trained her to be a cutting horse and she was also really tall.

We have very fond memories of Lady.

Unknown said...

I have read your last few posts through tears , I am so sorry .