Saturday, April 2, 2011

Old Remedies and Tips

I haven't been posting on my blog as much as I use to, because I am at a loss for anything interesting to write about. After several days of thinking about what to write...I thought I would start a new thing here on the APP blog. I am always coming across tips and other fun things that I read. Lets see a show of hands.. How many of you think it would be fun to see the funny vintage Home Remedies and tips I come up with?
Please feel free to share yours in the comment section :)

For today's Blast From the Past:

" In pioneer days we did not get our cosmetics out of bottles, jars, or any other containers"

Beauty Secrets of the Past:
We used our natural resources---- plenty of soap and water, plenty of outdoor exercise, with our bodies covered. We kept our necks, arms, and faces protected from the wind and sun.

Ladies were never supposed to let the sun see her face or arms. Instead of suntan, the whiter her skin and the pinker her cheeks the more beautiful she was-- and the pink cheeks and lips did not come from lip-stick. It was good health.

We washed our skin carefully with our hands, dried it and applied cream, from old "bossy," the cow. One tablespoon of thick cream, after the milk had cooled overnight, was the best face and skin conditioner there was.

For garden work, we had slat bonnets, and black stocking legs on our arms.

If we were healthy our eyes and lashes--- as God gave them to us-- gave us all the attractiveness we needed. At least the men in our lives seemed to think so.

Tip:
To Remove Wrinkles
Melt together one ounce white wax, two ounces strained honey and two ounces of the juice of lily bulbs. The foregoing melted and stirred together will remove wrinkles.

Blogging Friends:

Please let me know if you enjoyed this little blog post. This is a reprint from Home Town News dated 1961 from The Wichita Eagle. (Rare Recipes and Budget Savers)

6 comments:

San-Dee said...

Hi, APP! I think it's a great idea-fun reads to see how things have changed.

Doris Sturm said...

Yes, I did enjoy this - I knew about not exposing our skin to too much sun, but I never heard of the wrinkle cream before...does it matter what kind of lily juice to use? There's so many lilies and I don't want to use a poisonous one (if there is such a thing!)

Happy weekend to you and little Miss Pitty Pat

from me and Gizzy

Barb said...

I was wondering why you haven't been posting much. This was very interesting.

Taller Soporopo said...

wow, we should keep protecting ourselves from sun...bad bad at least for me..greetings from chile y used to follow you as larondademarci blog but is not available anymore... sigh!
anyways besos y bye
my new blog es Tallersoporopo.blogspot.com

A Bee In My Bonnet - Leslie Anne said...

What a great idea! I love it! What kind of hints are you thinking of using? Just beauty tips or others such as cooking, cleaning, housekeeping,etc?

Laura VanVleet said...

Wow~love it! Now...to get my hands on some lily bulbs and honey.....