Monday, July 6, 2009

It's All Coming together nicely ;)

Oh my what has the Aunt Pitty Pat been up to lately????
Remember the last post where I had all those arms, legs, and heads... This is what all of those arms legs and heads are beginning to look like now ;) I just need to sew on the legs and faces to complete these funny little bodies. Momma Bear... that I spent the 4th of July with said they look like little ET's right now without the legs. She just laughed and laughed ;) Momma Bear gets her coined name because..... she is aways feeding me home cooked meals!!! Sort of like the Momma bear in the Goldie Locks story. :) Working on my Annies is going to be a today job. I have switched from painting on faces to sewing on faces. I think that method is working out much better for me. At least I like how they are turning out. For some reason they look more finished and they have that handcrafted look about them. They really do look like they were made from the heart with love. I admit I am not a painter... never was and probably will never be. But as a person that likes a challenge... I try really really hard at the painted stuff:) Here is my little Andy that I am working on .. I may have shown him before ..but I thought I would throw him into the mix, just in case you have not seen what I am up to with the Andys. Thank you all..... for your help with suggestions and patterns to help me get this little guy together ;) I am also going to work on him a bit today. If nothing else I will get some hair on that shiny little noggin ;)
Yes its ok to laugh........ I am laughing as I type this!!!
LOL here is my first hand stitched face on my Annies... she is sort of funny looking... sort of Wonky!!! I need to remove her eyes and re-set them with a different flat un-shinny looking button. I think the shiny buttons... makes it look like they have a black eye or something..
Believe it or not these are the same color of buttons and same style.. look how they look so different!!!
I know I know not a very good photo ..but its the best I could do for now :) Its cloudy outside and this is an indoor photo with me standing above her. I promise when I get all the Andy's and Annie's done I will take a super photo of each one of them :) Did you notice I made felt shoes for her.. I think I will put handmade shoes on all of my Annies now. Heck the shoes make up faster than I can paint them on :) Oh BTW this Annie is not completed she still has some work to be done on her. Like tuck in the hair strings and add some jewelry on her to froo froo her up a tad :)
WONKY HOUSES
Ok here is the design I came up with on my Halloween Block. Do you see the fabrics that you sent to me? Well I really have used a lot of them so far. I still have several blocks to make ;) This is only the first stage where you fuse them to the main block I still have to satin stitch around the out side of each of the 12 blocks. I think we also have to sign them. I am leaning toward putting a bat across the moon or a witch on a broom :) The window is going to be sectioned off and with panes. The door is going to have a little window at the top.. also can't forget the door knob . the chimney is going to have some smoke or the Ghost is going to be coming out of it .... I also think the window or the door way needs a ghost. I am going to put on buttons and lace and what ever else I can find to finish them up. I think they will be so fun when they get done ;)

I am really having a fun time making these blocks. It has been very time consuming.. I am so thankful our hostess gave us almost two months to make them as I think I just might need all that time to work on them. I cut out all the 12 1/2 X 12 1/2 back ground squares yesterday and got 4 blocks fused and then I started on another 4 blocks. I have to fuse the pieces and then place them on the 12 1/2 block. Having done all of that yesterday.. I worked on them for 5 hours and decided I needed a rest. I still have a hard time standing and sitting at too long of a time in one session. I have to take breaks. But I was having so much fun with theses I just kept at it. Big mistake...... So now I will have to pull myself away from the fun :) I hope you like my blocks if you have any suggestions I am very willing to listen to how to improve them ;) Thanks for letting me share my recent sewing projects with you :O)
Oh do you think I should paint on faces or sew on faces? Which way do you like the best????

15 comments:

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I like both faces :) No real help there I guess. I have never been very good at painting so I have always sewn my faces on.

I like your wonky houses...

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh you have been busy!!Love little Andy, I am a fan of the paint on face as babies like to put things in their mouth and buttons would worry me, but if it was not for a child then I also like the buttons.
Now, lets talk wonky house, I love them, they are so cute just as they are!! Super job!!

CathyJean said...

Lookin' cute!! I love them all :)
And your wonky houses are so cool!! You have been very busy!! :)

Barb said...

Love the Annie and Andy, yes, I would worry if it was a doll for a child with the buttons....looks wonderful

moBri said...

They all are soooo cute !! And .. ET .. was the first that came to my mind when I saw the first pic :-)

AwtemNymf said...

You've been busy :O) You're getting better at the Annies & Andy making. You go girl! Just practice and love is really all it takes! And I agree- the stitched faces do look more handcrafted. Nice Job! :O)
Now I know what a Wonky House looks like. And I'm loving the Halloween blocks! Loving them! Happy Creating!
Hugs!

AwtemNymf said...

ps- I was never good at painting faces either. Too fine of details and could never control the brush! The smiles always came out crooked- no matter what I did and the eyes- you start out and it'll be okay- then try to do the same thing on the other side exactly the same *shakes head* never happened. It was a back and forth deal and well- let's just say- it was ruined and I gave up! LOL

Beansieleigh said...

Oh these beautiful dolls! LOVE THEM! I think both a sewn or painted face looks sweet! As for myself, being a crafter, I think I appreciate the hand-sewn face more. I was wishing I could have found time to do an Annie doll for the 4th... in red, white and blue... but never found the time. Maybe next year! Hope you had a fun 4th of July weekend!

Unknown said...

Those dolls are adorable! Your always up to something good!

NadineC said...

Oh wow! Those buttons really do look different, don't they? And I love your wonky house! I really need to get my 9-patches mailed (they are all done!) to you along with the Halloween fabric I scrounged for ya - I'll try to do that this week, girlfriend! Hahaha - my Word Verification is "bumpumpe".....no comment!

Tammy said...

The Annies are looking good! Their heads are shaped perfect. That is so hard to do. I can't wait to see your finished blocks.

Julia said...

I had a doll like that when I was about 4 or 5. I wonder where she ended up!!!

Becky said...

Busy, busy woman!!

The faces are soooo adorable!

The wonky houses rock too.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so the pile of doll bodies...the first thing that came to mind was the scene from "Ghost Busters" when the "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" came walking down the street. See, big happy eyes and a big smile. Big white heads. Here he is in a link from the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_loG8AQKtY

Mistea said...

Those dollies are all so sweet. As for the faces do what comes naturally. I always embroider faces as I like the texture it adds, paint appears too flat on the face. I do like painting fun shoes and stockings though. Enjoy all your creative projects.