Monday, July 20, 2009

'One Giant Leap' 40 Years Later


The photo is of Buzz Aldrin Saluting the US Flag

On May 25, 1961, President John F. Kennedy said, "I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth." On July 20, 1969, the goal was achieved when Apollo 11 commander Neil Armstrong and Lunar Module pilot Buzz Aldrin landed on the lunar surface. Can you believe this historic voyage happened 40 years ago today????
I remember the night/day that they landed on the moon. I stayed the night at the neighbors. Her grandchildren came over and we played Canasta and Hearts all night long. We drank RC Cola and ate Butterscotch hard candies. I can still remember like it was yesterday... when they said that Neil and Buzz was walking on the moon we ran outside and looked up at the sky and yelled throw us down a moon rock. We will be rich when we get older if you do that for us :) Oh the fun we had that night. If you were one of the lucky ones to be a part of that history making event.. I am sure you know right where you were when they walked on that huge beautiful moon ;) What happened to the days that we would sit on the edge of our seats to watch the Space Ships take off and land. I don't know about you but I am still in awe of the Space program. Its so full of wonder and excitement. I try to keep up with all of the Shuttle take offs and landings. There has been so many things that has been gained from the Space program. I am sure we will continue to benefit from it.
I am so lucky I live near the City of Hutchinson Ks it has an awesome display of Space memorabilia. They are known the world over for the finest collection of artifacts pertaining to space. I haven't visited it in a few years. When Grandmother Peachy was able to came and visit.. we always made a trip there. She would tell me such interesting stories of how travel evolved from horse and Buggy. She knows all about those things...bless her sweetness.. she is now 99 years and 6 months old ;)

NASA Spin offs

CAT Scans
MRI's
Kidney dialysis machines
Heart defibrillator technology
Remote Robotic Surgery
Micro wave receivers used for breast cancer treatment
cordless tools
light weight breathing machines for firefighters
the list goes on and on..
SPACE IS A GOOD THING!!

1 comments:

Sherry said...

Space is a good thing! I remember my dad making me and my brother wake up to watch the landing. I was only about 4 and just wanted to go back to sleep!! I didn't understand how important and what a historical night that was.

:)
Sherry