Sunday, July 25, 2010

Starting those Christmas Presents.... Isn't it Christmas in July???

I spent the last 3 1/2 hours working on quilt blocks for Big Daddy O's and Bubba's Quilts. I am making each of them a quilt for Christmas. I now have all the blocks traced and on muslin. I spent two weekends on the computer looking for photos that I could sort of copy to make the blocks for Bubba's and Big Daddy O's Quilts. It's sort of hard to find just the right photo of a Hearse to draw. After several days and several hours I found 12 photos that would be perfect to follow to make my blocks that I will hand stitch. I don't know how pretty these two quilts will be, but I hope they like them. I am not only using the traditional black, grey, dark blue and purple colors.. I am going to use copper, silver, and light brown. I might even throw in a green and red :) I think all quilts should have some fun colors. I can't decide if I want to make the other blocks with just the purple and black.. or go with Skull material.. what do you girls think on that???
For about the last three weeks..I have been working on Step Monsters Blocks for her quilt. All the hand stitched blocks are almost done. I think I have about 3 blocks to finish. Then its time to figure out how I want to put the quilt top together. I know I want it scrappy around the hand sewn blocks. From there I am not so sure. I thought it would be fun to have some other wonderful fun blocks next to the hand stitched blocks, like Bento Box, Log Cabin, Court House Steps, or Bulls eye. Just not sure.. but I know it has to be sort of scrappy looking to go along with the hand sewn blocks. I want bright colors on this quilt top... it will be so awesomely cute!!!
Once I get these three quilts done I have to start on one for Bubba's Live in house mouse. She is a sweetie, and I don't mind spending the time to make her a nice lap blanket. I think I will make hers a disappearing 9 patch blanket ;) Or something equally quick.
My families quilts will be slightly bigger than lap blanket size. Most of the hand sewn blocks are about 9-10 inches big, and I have chosen 12 different designs for the quilts. then with the 12 what ever blocks and then sashing.. I think the quilts will be the perfect size to curl up on the couch with ;)
After I get the quilts completed I have to start on gifts for my family in CA. That will take a tad bit of time.. I still don't know what I want to make each of them. I have had some special requests from my family this year.. that will take care of some of the gifts :) Yeah.. don't have to tax the Ju Ju Be brain very hard on some of them :)
Any suggestions from my wonderful blogging friends is greatly appreciated :)

1 comments:

Quiltingranny said...

Aunt Pitty...I have always loved handmade Christmas gifts...ornaments, decorations, etc. maybe they would love those.
I am having a giveaway of a name pillow, a quilt pattern, etc. over at the quiltingranny@blogspot.com, come sign up and if you win the pillow, part of your Christmas is over!