Friday, May 22, 2009

This is better than Chocolate ;)

I have developed a rather obsessive passion for old vintage sewing machines, and vintage toy sewing machines. There is a lot of history and wonderful stories that come along with these old machines. Some of the Singers Featherweights were made in several countries before or during WW11. I have been wanting a Singer 301 sewing machine for a little over a year. I was bidding on this vintage Singer sewing machine this week on Ebay..... I am so excited I won her:) Isn't she a beauty a really nice 301. I haven't seen one this well preserved in a while. I can't wait to get her home and try her out :) (APP is jumping up and down and fling arms in a happy dance)
The 301 is very popular with quilters it has a built in handle so you can carry it easily from one spot to the other ;) It is well suited for those of you who like to attend quilting, sewing classes, or quilting groups. The 301 has a much stronger motor than its sister the 221 or 221A or 222 Featherweights. The reason the 301 machines are so highly sought is because they’re gear driven instead of belt driven, which makes them capable of handling incredible thicknesses of fabric. This machine also sews adjustable length straight stitch's and goes in reverse. You can drop the feed dog with the turn of a knob. For easy free motion quilting ;)

This is the next Singer sewing machine on my list its a free arm Featherweight 222K. This machine is referred to as the Queen of all the Singer sewing machines. It is highly desired by all sewing enthusiast. There was a limited number of them made in Great Brittan. I have been keeping and eye on these machines and you rarely see one up for sale.

Below you will find some history on the Singer Sewing Machine :)

Among all models manufactured by Singer, quite a few are still very popular. Singer antique sewing machine models 301a, 301, 221 and 222 - so called Featherweight and model 66 are the most popular. Of these, the Singer Featherweight 221 is a classic model introduced in 1933 at the Chicago World’s Fair and continued to be manufactured until 1960 in the US and until 1971 in Scotland.
It is a “collectible” of the first order even if that can be a pricey item. In case of looking for an antique sewing machine not from a collector’s point of view, the Singer 301 or 301a are as good as Featherweights and can be found for about a third of what the Featherweight might cost. Besides Singer, there are many other antique sewing machines manufacturing companies, like Bradbury, Jones, Frister and Rossmann.

Excerpts of history from: http://hubpages.com/hub/AntiqueSewingMachine

5 comments:

Paula #870 said...

Lucky Lucky you!!! I love them, too!
xxx
Paula

Yarni Gras! said...

I have the Featherweight. My dad passed it down to me (yes, mom refused to 'sew'....) :-)
It sits in a cute little black carry case and works BEAUTIFULLY! I still have all the attachments and everything!

Becky said...

Congrats on winning that beauty!
I just scored a Singer 500a - the Slant-o-matic! It's a sturdy gal and looks as cool as it sews!

Carla said...

My you are lucky. I saw a Featherweight at a yard sale last month. He wanted $125 for it and I just didn't have the money. I would really like to find the toy machines.

Julia said...

Those are cool. They look like they are enameled steel. But that the one is light weight is great. I guess I can not really call my mom's hand me down of a 38 year old sewing machine old any more. And yours are much nicer looking.